The Maxwell Scholarship was established to assist high school seniors from Western Washington in obtaining a higher education. For freshmen starting college during the 2023-24 academic year, scholarships will be $5,000 per year or less based on financial need. This award has the potential to be renewed for up to an additional three years of undergraduate education based on financial need and reasonable progress toward graduation. A simple renewal application is required each year.
Scholarship eligibility is subject to the following criteria:
- Pursuing Post-Secondary Education at a Private College/University:
Students must intend to seek a four-year degree at an accredited private institution which receives its fundamental support from sources other than taxes (i.e., not state funded colleges or universities)
- Western Washington Residency:
A resident of Western Washington is defined as a student who has attended the last two years of high school (or homeschool) and lived in a location west of the Cascade Mountains.
- Standardized Test Scores: (Optional for 2023 but highly recommended)
Scholarships will generally be limited to entering freshmen, with combined math and reading/writing SAT scores of 1200 or higher (or ACT composite scores of over 26). The Trustees of the Foundation, at their discretion, may consider students with lower scores.
- Financial Qualifications:
Eligibility for and amount of a scholarship is based upon demonstrated financial need as determined by the institution that the student is planning to attend.
HOW TO APPLY:
The application form is only available online.
Application Deadline: April 28, 2023
- Create a Maxwell Foundation account.
- Go to www.maxwell.org and click “Apply Now”.
- Register with an email address you check regularly.
- The system will direct you to the student profile page. Once this page is completed, you may begin the application process.
- The application requires the following materials to be uploaded along with the application:
- Extracurricular, Personal and Volunteer Activities (Please use the format provided with the application form)
- Work Experience
- The applicant’s essay of not more than 500 words
- Save these materials as a PDF file
- Applications do not have to be completed in one session. Applicants may save entered information and return later. Be sure to click “save draft” before leaving the page.
- Complete and electronically submit the application by April 28, 2023.
- The Foundation will send an email confirming your application was received. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS REQUIRED:
In addition to the application, it is the student’s responsibility to submit the following supplemental materials to The Foundation by May 19, 2023.
- High School Transcripts
Official high school transcript (including first quarter/semester Senior year grades) may be submitted by mail, email OR electronically.
- Mail to:
The Edmund F. Maxwell Foundation
PO Box 55548
Seattle, WA 98155 OR
- Delivered electronically through Parchment (www.Parchment.com). When ordering transcripts, select “electronic delivery” and direct them to be delivered to email@example.com.
- Transcripts may also be emailed by the student’s high school college counselor, principal or vice principal to the Foundation at Support@Maxwell.org
- The Foundation will upload and attach transcripts to the student’s application as they are received.
- Uploaded transcripts will be viewable under the “My Application” tab in your account.
- SAT/ACT Score Report
If you are submitting scores: SAT/ACT scores must be verified by providing The Foundation with a score report. Choose one of the following delivery methods: (screenshots are not accepted)
- Reported directly on the student’s official high school transcripts by a school staff member
- Delivered to the Foundation directly by the College Board or ACT. When ordering score reports, please select “electronic delivery”. Paper reports may not be delivered before the deadline.
- Use the Foundation’s institutional codes for prompt delivery:
- College Board – 6697
- ACT – 7900 (Please search by using this code for best results, searching by our name does not always work.)
- Some applicants may qualify for a score report fee waiver from the College Board. Please visit here for more information.
- Once the score report has been received, your SAT/ACT status will be verified. You can confirm this under the “My Application” tab of your account.
- If you do not have SAT/ACT scores to report, please put "N/A" in the SAT/ACT field on your application.
- Financial Aid Worksheet
To determine financial eligibility, the following steps must be completed:
- Students must have submitted a Free Application for Student Aid form (FAFSA) to each institution that he or she is considering attending.
- Students will need to access the Financial Aid Worksheet request page located under the “my application tab” of your account and follow the prompts to initiate a Worksheet request email to be sent.
- Students should direct the request to the appropriate financial aid office at each private institution to which they are considering attending.
- The request will instruct the financial aid officer to complete the worksheet based on the financial data derived from the student’s FAFSA.
- The request form allows Financial Aid Worksheet requests to be sent to multiple institutions as needed.
- The financial aid officer will be instructed to return the completed and signed worksheet to The Foundation via electronic delivery. (preferred method)
Other details about the Financial Aid Worksheet
- If necessary, the worksheet may be printed and returned to The Foundation to the address listed above. We can provide you with a pdf of the worksheet.
- If the worksheet is mailed to The Foundation, please allow additional time for processing.
- A worksheet must be completed and signed by a financial aid officer from each private institution from which the student is seeking financial aid. The system will attach the Financial Aid Worksheet(s) to your application as they are received.
- Uploaded worksheets will be viewable under the “Financial Aid Worksheet” button in your application.
Please check back frequently to ensure that all information is correct. Direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students must reapply to the Foundation to renew their scholarship using the scholarship renewal form available online renewal form each year they are attending college for a total of up to four academic years.
- Scholarship renewals are subject to the student meeting all eligibility requirements including continued financial need.
- The recipient is expected to maintain personal performance consistent with the original award criteria and satisfactory academic performance.
- An updated Financial Aid Worksheet must be delivered to The Foundation each year. Please see the section above titled: “Financial Aid Worksheet” for further details.
- The Maxwell scholarship is designed to assist outstanding students with a portion of their cost of education. Other sources of financial aid may be received.
- The Edmund F Maxwell Foundation scholarship is not intended to replace grants or scholarships otherwise available to the student from the scholar’s college but may be used to replace work/study or need-based loans.
- A small number of colleges reduce the amount of their financial aid after the student’s freshman year if outside scholarships are obtained. The Maxwell scholarship will not be available at colleges or universities with such a policy known to The Foundation.
- Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the educational institution which the scholarship recipient will be attending.
- The Edmund F. Maxwell Foundation does not to discriminate in the awarding of any scholarship on the basis of race, religion, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
- All scholarships issued by the Foundation are based on financial need. If you will be attending a private college that meets 100% of unmet need as their financial aid policy, it is very unlikely that you will be eligible for an award from The Maxwell Foundation.